With the release of Summer ’12, Salesforce has rolled out the new Chatter Messenger feature. Chatter Messenger provides a free and secure instant messaging solution to organizations, unlike applications like AIM, Windows Live Messenger or Gtalk which send messages over the public internet.
Chatter can be used with all editions of Salesforce, including Chatter.com and Chatter Free. Meaning, not all users will be required to have a paid Salesforce user license in order to use it. Salesforce Administrators can easily provide a Chatter Free license to all coworkers currently not using Salesforce, or (if enabled) individual Salesforce users can also send invitations out to their co-workers inviting them to join.
Chatter Messenger Features
- Instantly see when your coworkers are online
- Private one-to-one IM conversations in real time
- Ability to include up to 10 coworkers in the same conversation
- Pop IM sessions out of the browser, and continue to use Chatter after closing other browser tabs
- Save favorite people and groups of people for quick, easy communication
- Works in Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari and Internet Explorer
With the roll out of the Summer ’12 release, Chatter was turned on automatically for all Chatter Enabled Salesforce orgs. Organizations had the ability to opt out of being automatically enabled by May 7. If you didn’t meet this deadline and still wish to turn off “the noise,” your Salesforce Administrator can take care of that within the Chatter settings.
Additional Information about Chatter Messenger
- If you have access to a Sandbox environment that has been enabled with Summer ‘12—you can log in to experiment with Chatter Messenger now
- At the time of writing this blog, Chatter does not support archiving or store historical conversations
As Salesforce Consultants, we use Chatter to communicate with our internal employees as well as our customers and vendor partners. In order to use Chatter as a means of communication, the person/org you are chatting with must have a Salesforce Chatter License and ensure it’s enabled.
For more information on how you can leverage Chatter within your business, see our blog, “Salesforce Chatter for Business.” If you need assistance with setting up Chatter or how to use Chatter once it is set up, contact us at 614-212-1111 or fill out the form below.