What is a Managed Service Provider? A Managed Service Provider (MSP) is now a widely accepted technology term for a team of IT specialists that take responsibility for a company’s hardware, software, and network infrastructure maintenance and support. The type of maintenance that a Managed Service Provider typically offers is a proactive approach through monitoring and alerting of potential threats and weaknesses in the technology structure.
The concept of managed services was born from the desire for IT companies to provide their customers with a higher level of support, replacing the once popular break-fix method. A break-fix method is exactly how it sounds – something in your company’s technology structure has stopped functioning properly and you call your IT provider to have them fix the problem. This method made sense during times where the resources were not available for Managed Service Providers to provide proactive support to their customers, for example:
- Break-Fix: You call your IT provider because your computer just died after 7 years.
- MSP: Your IT provider has met with you to advise you that your computer product specifications say your computer may not last much longer and needs replaced.
- Break-fix: You endlessly Google how a software update will be different from its previous versions and try to understand all of the new features.
- MSP: You have been notified by your MSP that the new software update is coming, well in advance, and how the changes will effect your business. In addition to that, you have also already received a notification of the new software features that may be beneficial to you.
IT Cost Concerns
- Break-Fix: You’re having consistent issues with software, hardware or your network infrastructure. You never know what you’re going to pay each month because you can’t predict what will break or fail.
- MSP: You’re paying a monthly retainer to have your products monitored and maintained. The number of times software, hardware or your network infrastructure has issues has significantly decreased since partnering with your Managed Service Provider.
Many Managed Service Providers make claims that their MSP services will replace a reactive/break-fix support model all together. That only happens in a perfect world. You can have the best Managed Service Provider in the world and over time, still have some technology issues that can not be prevented.
The MSP team at Revolution Group is composed of some of the most qualified IT professionals in the central Ohio area. To ensure we provide our customers with top-of-the-line service, our Technology Services Division is grouped into 5 specialized teams.
- Reactive Support Team (Helpdesk) focuses on helping you with all of your technology struggles or questions. For instance, the reactive team at Revolution Group fields calls ranging from getting WiFi to connect on a phone when traveling to explaining how to change the font color in a Word document. You name it, they do it.
- Proactive Support Team sets up and monitors alerts, and the overall health and security of your in-house technology. Then they are able to act on those alerts before they become disruptive to your business. This team’s main focus is to prevent what is preventable. Things like natural disasters are not something they can control, but they do monitor weather in the area to put measures in place for possible storm outages. The proactive team also acts as a backup to our reactive support team.
- Projects Team at Revolution Group will be there to ensure the project runs smoothly, on budget and on time, from start to finish. Project might include: Office 365 migrations, network upgrades, server virtualization, and hosted cloud services, to name a few.
- Account Managers are our team of industry veterans who meet with our clients on a monthly basis to discuss upcoming projects, helpdesk tickets, etc. The account manager is the customer’s liaison between the customer and the rest of the MSP team at Revolution Group.
- Virtual Chief Information Officers (vCIO) is a strategy component to the Managed Service Provider offering. These industry experts will understand your business from a strategic standpoint and will offer guidance on what technology is the next step for your business. They are not salesmen and will not pressure or convince you to buy certain products or services. Instead, they are considered an extension of your internal executive team that is both concerned with your technology footprint and its impact on your bottom line.
Most daily work activities rely heavily on properly functioning technology components. Allow Revolution Group to discover and fix your technology issues before they negatively affect your business. To learn more about Revolution Group’s MSP team, call us at 614-212-1111 or fill out the form below.