My wife always teases me about being the ‘King of Analogies.’ That doesn’t keep me from attempting to draw parallels between unrelated things. Lately, I have been thinking about the similarities between an ERP project and having a baby. Obviously, two entirely different activities, but indulge me in some uncanny similarities. Here is my take on how ERP and your baby are the same. As you read along below, I think that you will find that you can use the words (and concepts of) baby and ERP interchangeably.
Preparation (ERP Project Planning)
Ok, so you have decided that you are ready for a new baby. What’s next?
- Choosing a Partner (Consultant Selection) – Obviously, this is one important choice, you would like to find someone who understands you, challenges you, supports you and will be in it for the long haul. You don’t want a partner that will abandon you right after delivery.
- Preparing for Change (Change Management) – Your new edition will bring about some dramatic changes in your life. It will change the way you conduct your day-to-day business. It will drive differences in finances, planning, logistics, etc. Is your household ready for these changes?
- Timing (Project Scheduling) – You will want to choose the right time so that you can make sure that you are not distracted and can focus all your energies into the process.
- Conception (Project Kick-off) – Enough said.
Maternity (ERP Project Execution)
You want to make sure that things are progressing well
- Eating Right (Data Migration) – It is important to monitor what goes into your developing baby. Filling it full of junk is likely to produce an unhealthy outcome.
- Lamaze/Parenting Classes (Piloting) – You must be prepared for the big event, you want to make sure that everyone knows their role, practices their responsibilities, and refines their methodologies.
- Check-Ups (Validation Milestones) – During this time, you will want to make sure that you have regular consultations with a professional to make sure that you are on the right track and that things are progressing well.
- Environment (Hardware/Process Layouts) – You will want to make sure that you provide a nurturing environment and that you have equipment in place to feed, monitor and change your little darling.
Delivery (ERP Go-Live)
The big event is at hand. Remember to breathe…and push!
- Resources – You want to make sure that you have enough of the right people present and that they are all properly trained to deliver.
- Supplies – You want to make sure that everything needed to be consumed during this time is on-hand.
The baby has been delivered; it requires constant attention. You wouldn’t leave it unattended, would you?
- Feedings (Input) – You will need to make sure that it is fed in a timely manner and only with the correct stuff.
- Monitoring – You will need to monitor it around the clock and look out for problems.
- Security – You want to make sure that you keep your baby safe and free from attacks (both internal and external).
- Discipline – As your baby matures, you want to make sure you establish household discipline to maintain control and not allow any bad habits to develop.
- Education – It is important that you also maintain an educated household; you want to make sure you do not entrust your baby to individuals who are not trained to care for it. It is also important that you keep informed and learn about new developments and improvement techniques.
- Well Visits (Continuous Improvement) – You will want to consult regularly with professionals to make sure that your baby is healthy, on the correct growth curve, and is benchmarked against others
If you are interested finding a perfect partner for your ERP baby that will be with you through every step of the process, call us at 614-212-1111 or fill out the form below. We would love to change the way you think about ERP.
If you enjoyed “How ERP and Your Baby are the Same”, please also see our blog “Who Benefits from ERP.”